Wednesday, November 28, 2007

House Insanity I

I live in a big house in DLF. Well, big by Delhi standards. Having lived my whole life in a two bedroom flat with my parents, this place is mammoth. Sharing my new home and stealing all the hot water, is Blue (also known as boyfriend). Blue and I are owned by two dogs, Darth Ravenous and Darth Gazelle. Yes, they are in fact proficient in the secret arts of the dark side. Come visit and you'll see.

In retrospect, I must rephrase. I live in a mad house in DLF. Insanity pools in the bathroom floor along with the bathwater because the drains are clogged and can only be cleared through demolition of the neighbours kitchen. Needless to say I will be wading through both insanity and bathwater until the end of time.

Adding to the merrymaking and chaos is the household help, lovingly referred to as Idontknow. There is also the more explicit version of her name, prefered by Blue but unsuitable for use in this blog. Idontknow is called thus because she speaks no language discernible by modern man. Or women. Or canine for that matter. My mother, who speaks more languages than most of the people I know combined, informs me that she speaks in an obscure dialect of Bengali. As a result, giving her instructions to do anything has more inherent dangers than a game of russian roulet. I once told her to clean the bathroom floor, you know, mop up the bathwater and the insanity. Ten minutes later I found her on the first floor balcony wringing out the stray cat that had adopted us. Blue thoughtfully told her she did her job very well, and she took the afternoon off, reduced to bitter tears.

We never did figure out what it was he said in that obscure dialect of Bengali. Though since that day she has come in every morning and stood over him while he slept, watching with what I hope is maternal tenderness. Though its not likely.

She is currently on a fifteen day hiatus, no doubt trying to regain some sort of perspective on life outside the gigglefest that we conduct here. OR she is off to her village to recruit other, more voluptuous unintelligibles to come and stare at Blue. The possibilities are endless.

7 comments:

Renovatio said...

I see I'm not the only one with a problem communicating with my Bengali help. She mumbles inanities and then starts screaming at me when she gets tired of me staring at her with a truly zapped look on my face trying to fathom what the hell she just said. She also likes to pop by at 5 in the morning.
Although this one manages to single handedly clog up my drain by dumping the mop water down the sink, despite the wash area my mum had made at the end of the new balcony. As I'm the only one who uses that bathroom, I suffer.
Although the worst is when she decides to make my bed while I'm still fast asleep in it, in just a pair of boxers, and on the rare chance that I'm not in it, she'll bury my phone and any other paraphernalia that may have been on the bed under the bedsheet.

Kiro said...

I m kinda confused...how come I never saw this post...till now ie...anywez...Good to see a new post...was pretty funny...Nothing more to add...May the force continue to be with you.

Espèra said...

I live in a big house (by Delhi standards again) too. But where we differ is that all of the help speak Hindi quite well.

Although we once had a voluptuous, Bengali woman working for us. She near injured all of us.
Finally, she ran away from Delhi to go back to where she'd come from. It was heard that she told the ticket collector a long sad story about a very sick boy.

Zee said...

maid staring at boyfriend while asleep...not good! suggest u keep her occupied with the flooded bathroom!!!

TheDragon said...

Renovatio: Heheheh I love bong maids. They ahve such a wonderfully skewed vision of the world! Makes life so interesting.

Madhu: Thanks!

Espera: Err... ok.

Zee: Heheh I think the boyfriend would prefer that too.

Espèra said...

LoL. True. Why should you care?

Anonymous said...

Dragon: Let's not be unfair in this. ALL maids are slightly demented, regardless of which state they come from. I've been trying to convince the one who cleans my room that there's no need to mop the walls - for about a year now. Daft bloody woman.

Espera: I think the dragon was referring to your story ending before it started. Come on, thats no way to hold an audience, pour on the details! Leave no non sequitur unturned!